Pink film has a number of names. It is also referred to as pink slime or pink mould. It is a bacterial substance that can take on a pink, pink-orange or even an orange-red colour. This bacteria is airborne and it loves damp conditions. It feeds on the fatty materials that can be found in shampoo and soap. If you do not take action right away, it can leave your natural stone stained.
How to clean your stone
The good news is that you can get rid of this pink film quite easily. All you need to do is spray some bleach-based disinfectant on the affected area. Allow the solution to sit for a few minutes before brushing the area thoroughly. Rinse well with water when you are done. In some cases, you might need to repeat this process if there are any areas you’ve missed.
Keep in mind
When using bleach on natural stone, it can result in etching and iron oxidation (rust). This does not mean that you cannot use a bleach-based cleaner. It just means that you need to be extra careful when it comes to the resting time and rinsing.
Like most things in life, prevention is better than cure. To prevent pink film in your shower, take the time to squeegee all surfaces after you shower. This will limit the amount of moisture that remains and slow bacterial growth. You can also perform regular cleaning so that you don’t need to work as hard to clean these surfaces. If your stone has become damaged due to pink film, call an expert and schedule a professional clean.